You’ve probably heard that eating before a leg workout is important and when it comes to what to eat, you need the right balance of protein and carbohydrates. This article looks at the foods that are best for pre-workout with tips on how to make them healthier.
What to Eat Before a Leg Workout
It’s important not just to be eating before your leg workout, but what you eat before it too. The more protein you consume, the greater your performance levels will be during and after your session. You need the right balance of protein and carbohydrates to help refuel and repair the muscles.
The best pre-workout foods include lean meat, egg whites, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, oats, fruit, and lean meats. These foods will also help with your weight management. Protein is only digested once and eaten; carbohydrates are stored in the body for a while so can be consumed again a few hours later. They also keep you feeling full for longer.
Pre Leg Workout Food Tips
Some foods are better than others at being pre-workout fuel. Keeping these things in mind will help you get the most out of your leg workout.
- Eat smaller meals that are high in carbohydrates in the hours before training and then again just before your session begins – say 40 minutes beforehand if it’s something you can time.
- If you train in the morning, then eat a balanced breakfast and lunch before you go to bed.
- If you’re training after lunch, have an early dinner.
- Consume carbohydrates such as pasta or cereal but avoid fat.
Making Your Food Choices Healthier
Although it’s a good idea to consume these foods just before your session, there are other ways of improving them that make them even more effective.
- Use whole-grain bread and pasta rather than white versions.
- Serve your sandwiches on whole wheat bread and use lean meat rather than processed meat.
- Add chopped almonds or other nuts to your yogurt or cereal for an added protein boost.
- Add a handful of raisins to your cereal or yogurt for sweetness in the absence of sugar.
- Buy low-fat milk and buttermilk for healthy protein options and keep the portion size small if you’re trying to lose weight.
- Eat fruit rather than drinking milk if you like the taste and prefer healthy options.
- Prepare your eggs or any other meat substitute by boiling or frying until it’s done.
- Use low-fat cheese products and stay away from butter in your recipes.
- Add dried fruit to your cereal for a sweet crunchy addition to fill you up after eating a small portion of meat.
- Make your own yogurt by blending and then straining it through a cheesecloth or coffee filter for the best result.
It’s also worth keeping hydrated with water or low-fat milk before you exercise.
Always try to drink at least two 8 ounce glasses of water before working out because your body needs an adequate amount of fluid to regulate temperature and lubricate the muscles. It will help you to have better workouts too. Your body can become dehydrated much quicker when it’s hot outside, so always keep yourself hydrated during the summer months.
Water is important for many reasons during weight loss, but it’s also vital when you want to maintain your leg workout regimen. Keeping hydrated helps with weight loss as the body needs water to work properly, so people who are dehydrated will find they have less energy.
It’s recommended you drink 12-16 ounces of water before exercise and then another 8 ounces every 15 minutes during your session. If you’re going to be exercising for more than 30 minutes, then aim for about 25 ounces of fluid per hour.
Pre-Workout Tips: A few simple tips before you start your leg workout will help you perform better and get results quicker.
- Stay away from sugar, caffeine, and alcohol for at least 3 hours before a workout because the body can’t use them effectively when exercising and it will only make you tired or give you a bad workout.
- Eat something small about 20-30 minutes before you work out, but don’t eat too much because it will weigh down your stomach and make you feel sluggish.
- Always warm up thoroughly before you start exercising because it’s important to avoid injury and get the most out of your workout.
- Don’t talk on the phone because it’s important to focus on what you’re doing when exercising.
- Try to have fun and enjoy the process if possible; it will help keep you motivated.
I hope this article helps you in some way!